Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sweet Onion Spoon Bread

The bootcamp at the gym that I go to is super fun!  I really like getting my butt kicked every morning!!!  I've lost a few pounds too, so that is great.  

Yesterday, we did an obstacle course set up in the woods.  I am the most clumsy, uncoordinated person EVER, so I shouldn't be surprised at the numerous injuries I recieved.  I face-planted twice doing an uphill sprint in the sand, banged up both knees/shins trying to jump over logs, took most of the skin off 1 elbow (also hurdling over logs), and lastly, I banged the CRAP out of my upper thigh.  I was sprinting to make a series of 2 foot jumps, tripped, and basically slammed my left thigh (at full speed) against the edge of a 2 by 4.  I still can't walk right and I am going to have the most awesome, ginormous bruise soon...  I am pretty much cruising around town looking like a 6 year old that has been in a bike accident.  Awesome.

After I hobbled home, I knew the only thing that would make me feel better was some rockin' cornbread.  Therefore, I made this sweet onion spoon bread for lunch and proceeded to eat half of it (oops...).  Carbloading, much?
 
Sweet Onion Spoon Bread



Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cups chopped sweet onions
  • 1 can (8.75 oz.) cream style corn
  • 1 pkg. (8.5 oz.) corn bread mix
  • 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
  • 2 tbsp. skim milk
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions
  1. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onions until tender; set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the corn, muffin mix, egg whites, half of the onions, and milk.  Pour into a 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
  3. Combine sour cream and remaining onions; spread evenly over batter.  Sprinkle with cheese.
  4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment