Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mediterranean Chips & Dip

I decided to try my hand at making some Greek food tonight.  I made the dip below, which is similar to hummus, and some portobello mushroom pitas (I'll share the recipe tomorrow). 

I'm generally not a fan of hummus - the store bought kind tastes pretty disgusting to me and the recipe I used to make it at home tasted pretty gross in my opinion.  However, I LOVED this dip.  I pretty much destroyed 3/4 of the dip/chips you see in this picture.  Yum!
 
Mediterranean Chips & Dip



Ingredients

Dip
  • 1 can (15.5 oz.) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained 
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Chips
  • 4 whole wheat pita breads
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
Directions
  1. Place the first seven ingredients in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth.  Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
  2. For pita chips, cut each pita bread into eight wedges; place in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet.
  3. Brush with oil and sprinkle with seasonings.  Bake at 400 degrees for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve with dip.
 I accidentally bought chick peas instead of cannellini beans.  It turned out great and at least now I know that it is NOT the chick peas that gross me out in regular hummus (I'm kinda thinking it is the tahini).  If anyone knows a good hummus recipe, please share.  I want so badly to like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment