Friday, April 22, 2011

Nana's Chicken Salad


Today was the orientation meeting for the boot camp I signed up for at the gym here on post.  I was pleasantly surprised after we weighed in – I was positive I had gained around ten lbs., but I only gained two!  I was also surprised at the group of women who signed up for the course.  Going into it, I was pretty sure I would feel like the housemother for a large group of 18 year old Tri-Deltas.  I am happy to report that there was a nice mix of people there – old, young, fat, skinny, and certainly not all preppy blond girls!

Anyhow, we start our workouts on Monday and they sound like they will be super intense!  Woo!  I managed to hurt my foot on my four mile run this past Tuesday and it still isn’t better.  I’ve been working out hard core for years, and the FIRST time I injure myself is (of course) right before this intense boot camp program that I paid money to attend.  I hope it heals this weekend!!!

Here is a recipe for my Nana’s chicken salad.  I’ve made this several times, but it never tastes quite as good at hers.  But then again, my Nana makes the BEST chicken salad I have ever eaten, so that is a pretty tough standard to match.  I sometimes throw some Craisins in the mix if I have any on hand.  They make a nice addition.

Nana’s Chicken Salad


Ingredients
  • 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
  • 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • 3 sweet pickles, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Light miracle whip, just enough to blend
 Directions
  1. Combine the first five ingredients.
  2. Stir together with miracle whip until well blended.
  3. Chill for an hour or two before serving.
  4. Serve with crackers, atop salad greens, or make a sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment