Monday, April 11, 2011

Beer Bread

I’m so sorry for the 2.5 week hiatus!  I’ve been crazy busy lately and though I have been cooking, I haven’t had time to blog or work out (boo!).  I went running today for the first time in a LONG while and it was rough!  Two miles was all I could muster, so hopefully I will go farther tomorrow.

As for what I have been up to.  My mom came to visit me and we built a garden in my tiny backyard.  We planted lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, dill, basil, oregano, and a few other herbs.

Freshly Planted Garden!

Sprouts of lettuce!
 Brad and I took the puppies to Woofstock here on post last weekend.  We watched a super cool demo of some army attack dogs and bomb dogs, listened to the Army jazz band perform, ate some free hotdogs, and got lots of free goodies for the pups.

Bruiser had an awesome time!

I studied like a madwoman for two weeks and finally retook the GRE last Thursday.  I did really well, and I’m hoping Boston accepts my application!

I drove to Texas on Friday, and last night mom and I went to see Tim McGraw in Shreveport.  We also saw The Band Perry and Luke Bryan.  Tim McGraw is just as good looking as I knew he would be!  He put on a great concert too!
 
Go Tim!

















Now, it's time for a new recipe!!! 

Beer Bread


Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsps. salt
  • 12 ounces beer
  • 1 egg, beaten

Directions

1.        Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
2.       Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
3.       Add beer and stir with a fork until just combined.
4.       Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead quickly to form a ball.
5.       Place bread on a baking sheet and slit an X on top with a very sharp knife
6.       Brush loaf with the beaten egg.
7.       Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
8.       Cool on a wire rack.

I actually made this in a loaf pan in the middle rack of the oven and it turned out fine.  This bread is delicious served warm/toasted with a little butter.  It retains the flavor of whatever brew you use, so I would try to avoid using anything super light, such as MGD 64 or Bud Light 55.

1 comment:

  1. That picture of Bruiser is adorable :)
    The beer bread sound awesome!! I probably shouldn't tell people this, but Mom used to make beer bread when we were little- so I think I come by my love of beer honestly :) I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete