Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mashed Rutabaga!

Happy Saint Patty’s Day!!!  Some friends of ours had us over for lunch – corned beef and cabbage!  Mmm!  I actually remembered to wear green today, so no pinching for me!

My hubby is a picky eater – especially when it comes to vegetables.  Every few weeks, I try to incorporate a new and unusual vegetable into our diet in the hopes that he will like it.

Tonight we tried mashed rutabagas.   I was flipping channels the other day and came across Paula Dean making some mashed rutabagas.  Her recipe, of course, involved massive amounts of butter, bacon, and heavy cream.  I couldn’t bring myself to ruin something healthy by adding so much fat, so I made it the same way I normally make my mashed potatoes.  It was excellent –  it has a turnip flavor and in my opinion is much tastier than mashed cauliflower.   I cannot do moderation when it comes to mashed potatoes (which is why I never make them), and these would make a great substitute.

RUTABAGA!

Mashed Rutabaga

Ingredients
  • 1 large rutabaga
  • 1 slice bacon, diced
  • 1 tsp. light butter
  • 1-2 tbsp. fat free sour cream
  • 1 tbsp. skim milk
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Peel rutabaga as you would peel a potato.  Cut into equal sized cubes.
  2. Place rutabaga and bacon in a large pot and cover with water.
  3. Boil for 40-50 minutes or until rutabaga pieces are fork tender.
  4. Drain; place cooked rutabaga into a large mixing bowl.
  5. Add other ingredients and mix well or use a potato masher.
Note:  It would taste fine without the bacon, I just thought I would give it a try

No comments:

Post a Comment