Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Black Bean & Corn Lettuce Wraps

I’ve been making these lettuce wraps for several years now, though I don’t remember where the recipe came from.   These wraps make a great main dish for a light lunch or dinner, but also are AWESOME as an appetizer served with chips or fresh veggies. 

Black Bean & Corn Lettuce Wraps


Ingredients
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
  • ½ cup cilantro, chopped
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
  • 3 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped (optional)
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 head lettuce, washed & separated into leaves
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients (except lettuce) in a medium bowl.  Stir well.
  2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour so that the flavors will blend.
  3. Spoon even amounts onto lettuce leaves and roll up. 
In other news, I found an interesting product today at the commissary.  It is called PB2 and is a powdered peanut butter that you mix with water.  I first heard about it on the Weight Watchers message boards a long time ago, but could never find it in the store.  I am using it in a Thai Noodle Salad for Friday’s dinner and I hope it works!  I can’t keep regular peanut butter in my house because I end up eating the whole jar before I actually get around to making whatever recipe I bought it for.  The ingredient list is free of chemicals and preservatives listing only roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt.  The nutritional info in pretty good also – 45 calories, 1.5 grams fat, and 5 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment